Sunday, October 10, 2010

American Electra

I really enjoyed this article, and it gave me a LOT to think about! I first started thinking about what I've learned about feminism from my own mother.  She does not consider herself a feminist and when I decided to major in Women's Studies, she told me feminism was just a phase that young women go through but I'd eventually come to my senses and realize the world just is the way it is.  This experience was kind of the opposite of many of the anecdotes discussed in the article because I have ended up teaching my mom a lot about the history of feminism and trying to convince her it's important rather than vice versa.

The conflicts discussed in this article reminded me much more of my experience with the League of Women Voters.  One of my mentors asked me to join the board because they were looking to get more young women involved with the organization, but I often feel as if they don't really want me there.  The board meetings are held in the middle of the afternoon on weekdays, which makes it hard for women who are students, who work full time, or who have to care for family members to participate.  The older women on the board like to tell me and the other younger members about the things the League accomplished in their day, but they don't seem interested in what we have to offer.  It was a big struggle to even get them to email out the monthly newsletter rather than mailing out paper copies.  I think we need to strive for greater understanding of what we each have to offer rather than bickering about the way things should be done.  The best experiences I've had working with older women have been when we're able to learn from each other. 

2 comments:

  1. I absolutely love the story you shared about the League of Women Voters. What a great connection and also the information about your mother. My mom was born in 1945 and she and my Dad missed being radicalized in the 1960s by just a few years and zipcodes, but when I think about my mom she did work, and have kids, and go to school, and craft an egalitarian relationship with my father. She also has always been a good girl by going to nursing school (2 year), staying home- or atleast trying to, and teaching me how to be a "proper" lady complete with slips and panty hose -ick!
    Lots of tensions in all of our experiences thanks for the thought provoking post

    ReplyDelete
  2. So true! It seems as if the older women cannot fully grasp what the younger generations what to do or how things have changed- I guess I do not know if that is the right way to say it or not, but that is the simplest. This makes it much harder for us as younger people to be apart of this kind of activism because we feel as if we do not belong :/ But I am with you, I want and us younger people to keep fighting/maintaing a "spot" or a voice within an older generation!

    ReplyDelete