Saturday, September 25, 2010

10 Years

While I'd like to live the fast life of working on political campaigns in my twenties, by the time I'm 31 I think I'll have grown tired of this stressful lifestyle.  I would really like to work for a non-profit or PAC like EMILY's List that focuses on getting more women in elected office.  This would combine my love of political campaigns with my desire to achieve gender equity in the political sphere.  Eventually, I'd like to run for office myself (not sure which office yet!), but I don't know if I'll be ready for this by the time I'm 31.  However, running for office is a hefty task that will take a lot of preparation and learning, so I hope to be involved with boards, commissions, and committees that will help me become well-versed in a variety of policy issues.

I think my GWSS undergraduate work will be very helpful in achieving these goals.  Not only do I feel pretty confident discussing women's issues and women's low political participation from a policy standpoint, but GWSS has also instilled in me a world view that I think will make me a good leader one day.  My courses have taught me to consider many aspects of individuals rather than taking them at face value or making a judgment based upon a single characteristic like socioeconomic background, sexuality, or level of education.  I think this social sensitivity I have learned from GWSS will help me connect better with the people I hope to represent.  GWSS has also helped me understand how problems at the systemic and societal levels affect individuals (the personal is political!).  Focusing on faults of the system and providing social supports to fix them rather than blaming individuals for their hardships is a key tenant of the political party I identify with (I'm sure none of you can guess which one that is... :)), so I'm glad that GWSS has taught me to think in this way.

I know I have a long way to go before I'm ready to run for office or even work for a women's political organization.  I definitely need to learn more about running campaigns as well as policy, but I also need more practical, hands-on experience.  While I've learned about issues of privilege and oppression in the classroom, seeing them play out in real life is a different kind of educational experience.  Even though I have a long way to go, I'm SO glad I majored in GWSS because it has set me on the right path!

1 comment:

  1. It sounds like you are really driven! I cant even imagine being a part of a political office/campaigns, but that is such a great goal especially as society is changing- there needs to be more women apart of office as well as other political realms. And agree with you 100% that GWSS have given back in so many ways I cant even count. For example, I find myself, just as you do, looking deeper into situations and into the root of the problem, not just what it looks like at the surface. A qualitity that is much needed in the "real world" that many do not ever gain. Keep up with your aspirations, you will get to office in no time :)

    ReplyDelete